Shanghai: Historical Water Village & Silk Mill Half-Day Tour
Location: Shanghai, China
- Expore this perfectly protected 400 year old water village by boat as you cruise its atmospheric canals
- Discover southern China's silk-making secrets at a local silk mill
- Shop for local gifts and bargains in some of Zhu Jia Jiao's small shops
You'll be picked-up from your hotel
You'll be returned to your hotel at the end of the tour.
What You Can Expect
Zhujiajiao Water Village
For anyone looking to escape Shanghai's hectic pace this half-day tour to a nearby 400 year old village and silk mill is just what you need. Zhu Jia Jiao is a perfectly preserved water village, just 16 miles west of Shanghai, and is packed with historical buildings and tempting souvenir shops. On your tour you'll get the chance to explore its ancient canalways by boat, experience the tranquility of Dian Shan Lake and discover the secrets behind China's ancient silk-making process. Your tour begins in Shanghai from where your guide will escort you to the first stop on your afternoon escape from Shanghai. Zhu Jia Jiao village thrived on the rice and cloth trading and many of the buildings you'll see date from the Qing dynasty, including the post office and bank. During your two-hour visit you'll explore the village's narow waterways by boat and try your hand at bargaining in some of the local souvenir shops.
From Zhu Jia Jiao village you'll head off to a local silk-mill, where you'll learn all about the fascinating silk-making process. No visit to China is complete without experiencing this ancient art. This will be your final stop on this half-day tour, with your guide escorting you on your return journey to your hotel back in Shanghai.
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off and sightseeing program
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary
- Local English-speaking tour guide will escort you during pick-up, drop-off and sightseeing
- Entrance fees to scenic spots as indicated in the itinerary
- Parking fee & toll fee wherever applicable
- Hotel accommodation
- Flight/train ticket
- Personal expenses such as laundry, drinks, fax, telephone call, optional activities, etc
- Gratuities to the tour guide, driver, hotel bellboy
- Services not mentioned in the itinerary
- Traveler's insurance
- Prices are quoted in US dollars per adult. Price per child is 80% of the adult price. Prices are for reference only and may vary according to your travel date and group size
- Tour duration: approximately 5 hours
- Departure Date: daily
- Tour starts: 14:00
- You will get our confirmation email
- You will get our electronic voucher
- Local operator will contact you
Our guide Charlie was excellent as he did not overload us with info!
MarieDunedin, New Zealand | Jul 13, 2014
The tour was great and our guide Charlie was excellent. The water village was awesome. The only thing of disappointment was that there was no silk mill as we had expected.